With Mock Interview Day right around the corner (March 25, 2011), I couldn't help but think of my interview checklist and the things that the Career Center has taught me....
It's the morning of your interview and that mental checklist begins:
- Pressed Suit (not matching blazer and slacks, but a suit)
- Fitted button down
- Hair appropriately styled
- Ladies, pulled back or discretely styled (as not to draw attention)
- Gentlemen, a visit to the barber is in order (or styled equally as discretely if it is longer)
- Low-heeled pumps for ladies
- Dress shoes and dress socks for men (no white socks!)
- Accessories: to a minimum
- Resume on Resume Paper
- Black pen
- Business cards (if you have them)
- 60-second personal pitch (take a second to go over it in your head)
Things that may escape the morning checklist:
- Reading through your information about the company - if you don't know the history, it's going to show in the depth of your answers
- Reviewing your questions for the company - they must be insightful, and not something that can be found on the website
- Read an industry related source - any time you can tie in current events about the field, it shows that you go that extra mile!
- A smile - positivity will get you everywhere!
Gentlemen, the staples of interview attire is below:
Ladies here are a few options among many but please remember to KISS:
Keep It Simple Seawolf!
Here are a few links in case you want to explore in more detail:
Hope to see you use these tips at the Career Center's Career Week next week, and again at the Job Fair, which is Friday, March 18, from 12:00-3:00 p.m. in the Sports Complex!